Do landlords need to provide curtains and blinds for a rental property?

Do landlords need to provide curtains and blinds for a rental property?

If you have an investment property and are wondering whether you need to provide curtains, blinds or other window coverings for your tenants, then read on.

In Australia there is no single act or regulation that covers minimum rental standards with each state and territory having their own laws.

Should rental properties come with window coverings?

Whether or not it is required by law in your state, if you’re providing somewhere for people to live, then some sort of window covering should definitely be included. Not only do they provide privacy for tenants, but can also increase the value of your property and make it more desirable for people house hunting. And with more and more states, introducing higher minimum rental standards, it probably won’t be long before these are curtains and blinds are required in rental properties all over Australia.

Roller blinds are an affordable solution if you’re trying to keep costs down, but there are other options you can choose to raise the profile of your investment property.

S-fold curtains, either sheer or blockout, are great way to improve the appearance of your property from the inside. They can make a home feel modern and clean, while the sleek lines can give the appearance of higher ceilings.

If your investment is more of a family home where you’re hoping to attract great, long term tenants, then consider shutters for the front windows. These provide plenty of curb appeal and create an emotional connection, helping your property stand out

When it comes to choosing whether you need block out or sheers, consider what rooms you’re adding curtains to. Block out blinds or curtains should always be added to bedrooms to provide privacy and allow your tenants to get some rest. Sheer curtains and sunscreen blinds give your tenants the added option of daytime privacy – which is particularly important for apartments where windows face onto communal areas like driveways.

Do landlords in Victoria need to provide curtains, blinds or window coverings?

The short answer is yes.

From 29 March 2022, windows in rooms that are likely to be used as bedrooms or living areas must have window coverings that can be closed, block light and provide privacy.
Because they need to block light, we recommend block out curtains or block out blinds.

This requirement is part of the new minimum property rental standards which are being rolled out from 2021 and apply to all leases that were signed after March 2021.
Find out more about the new minimum standards for rental properties on the Victorian Government website.

Do landlords in New South Wales need to provide curtains, blinds or window coverings?

In NSW, the short answer is no, however landlords cannot unreasonably refuse a request minor alterations.

Installing or replacing window coverings, including curtains and blinds, is specifically listed as an item a tenant can install where it would be unreasonable for the landlord to refuse. Tenants still need to ask for permission, and some restrictions still apply.
This came into effect with changes to the residential tenancy laws that started on 23 March 2020.
Find out more on the New South Wales Government website.

Do landlords in Tasmania need to provide curtains and blinds?

Yes, landlords in Tasmania do need to provide curtains and blinds. Tasmania was one of the first states to introduce extended minimum rental standards back in August 2015, so any lease started after that date needs to meet these standards.

The Tasmanian minimum rental standards require that each window in bedrooms and living rooms and lounge rooms require curtains or blinds before it can be leased.

Find out more on the Tasmanian Government website.

Do landlords in Western Australia need to provide curtains or blinds?

Western Australia doesn’t have specific legislation about whether landlords need to provide curtains or blinds, but it does set out safety standards for landlords who provide them.

In Western Australia, internal window coverings, like curtains and blinds, need to adhere to safety requirements which state that exposed cords or chains need to be secured to a safety device if it is lower than 160cm from the floor.

Any curtains and blinds purchased after 2004 should have come with everything you need to secure the cord, but if your blinds are older than that, or if they weren’t installed with the chain secured to the wall, it might be time to invest in some new blinds.

All our roller blinds come with everything you need to safely secure your chain to the wall or window frame.

Do landlords in Queensland need to provide curtains or blinds?

There is no specific law in Queensland relating to window coverings, however the Queensland Government website says that the landlord should not refuse a tenant’s request to add fittings and fixtures without a good reason.

If the property already has curtains and blinds though, then the landlord needs to make sure they are in a good state of repair.

Back to Inspiration